Support & Administrative Roles
Supporting Those on the Front Lines
The Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department, a 501(c)(3) non-profit emergency services organization, needs more than just firefighters and EMTs responding to emergencies. It takes a lot of work behind the scenes to support a progressive, dynamic and most importantly busy department.
- Planning, managing and staffing community events
- Fund raising
- Financial management support
- Community fire & life safety education
- Logistical support
- General administrative functions of a busy non-profit
If you’re looking to make a difference directly in your community and contributing to saving lives and property, providing education for kids and adults alike and generally being a positive force in the Hyattsville, University Park and our other response areas, volunteering with us may be a great fit.
Our scheduling is flexible, with several larger events annually including a Fire Prevention Week Open House, Santa Runs and visits in the Winter, National Night Out and various public events. General administrative functions offer flexible scheduling for meetings and work time.
Administrative & Support Volunteers should:
- Typically live in the City of Hyattsville, Town of University Park or surrounding communities
- Apply and include what specific administrative or support tasks/roles they may be interested in participating in
- Pass a comprehensive background check
- Meet with a member of our administrative team to talk more opportunities
- No prior fire/EMS service experience is required
Administrative/support members should plan to participate in our monthly company meeting the second Monday monthly at 7:30pm if available, as well as a variety of events and meetings. We ask for a commitment of at least 50 hours annually.
Being a member of the HVFD team offers many benefits:
- Impact: : Provide critically-needed support and administrative services to the organization, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, its members and the community. A volunteer experience like no other.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program (through County/State) and our Federal SAFER grant for qualified higher education<
- Easy Access for Students: via Metrorail (just one stop from College Park) and minutes from Catholic University and other D.C. campuses. and along University of Maryland shuttle and Metrobus routes
- Stationwide WiFi & Computer Access: Provided free, including computer/study room with new computers, large monitors, networked printer/scanner and copy machine
- Free Training Administrative and leadership training opportunities via county, state and national training programs
- Incentive Program: Including apparel, equipment benefits and more
We are currently recruiting for the following Administrative & Support volunteer openings:
- Local community members interested in serving the HVFD to support events, community education, fund raising and general administrative and logistical management
Applicants who move forward in the process will need to pass a comprehensive criminal background check.