Live-In Bunkroom Recruitment
About the Bunkroom Program
If you are a student pursuing a higher education or have full time employment — and prior experience in the fire, rescue & EMS — here’s your chance to become part of a fast-paced emergency services environment, The Hyattsville VFD live-in bunkroom program was one of the first in nation and continues to drive future leaders of the fire service.
The HVFD’s live-in program typically has ongoing openings as well as for Spring and Fall semester timed move-in dates. CWe are located near the University of Maryland, University of Maryland University College, Prince George’s Community College, and Montgomery Community College. We are also a short Metro ride to Catholic, Howard University and George Washington Universities, and are along the University of Maryland shuttle route.
Bunkroom alumni have gone on to careers throughout America’s fire service, from firefighter to Chief … and countless other careers including many Fire Protection Engineers, Doctors, Lawyers, Managers and beyond. Many former live-ins are also among today’s HVFD leadership.
Live-in members are expected to maintain their status as part time or full time students or hold employment in the area while living in the bunkroom.
Fire/EMS live-in applicants must have at least:
- Firefighter I (ProBoard/IFSAC certified) and/or …
- EMT (most states & NREMT accepted)
- EMS Only (EMT/Paramedic) live-in applicants must have NREMT or EMT (most states accepted)
All Applicants must pass a full background check and NFPA level physical.
Live-in members are expected to be on duty at least four nights per week, plus a rotation of weekends and holidays based on overall staffing.
Being a member of the HVFD bunkroom with the offers many benefits:
- Free Room & Board: Dedicated personal sleeping areas, separate male and female living quarters and shower facilities
- Experience: With a busy, progressive Fire/EMS Organization bordering Washington, DC including one of the few stations with engine company, heavy rescue squad, truck company and ALS & BLS EMS operations
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program (through County/State) and our Federal SAFER grant for qualified higher education<
- Duty Shift Meals: Weekend, holiday and regular weeknight meal program for on duty crews
- Easy Access for Students: via Metrorail (just one stop from College Park) and minutes from Catholic University and other D.C. campuses. and along University of Maryland shuttle and Metrobus routes
- Stationwide WiFi & Computer Access: Provided free, including computer/study room with new computers, large monitors, networked printer/scanner and copy machine
- Free Training Opportunities in-station and via county, state and national training programs
- Incentive Program: Including apparel, equipment benefits and more
- Expansion Coming: Expanded living, kitchen and study space in new planned firehouse
- Library: Extensive research library and resources for students