Volunteer EMS Recruitment
About HVFD EMS
The HVFD offers an urban setting with exceptional experience opportunities for both basic and advanced life support providers. We respond to over 2,500 calls annually bordering the nation’s capital.
We staff two ambulances that operate as basic life support units which can be upgraded to advanced life support paramedic ambulances with our volunteer ALS program.
Who We’re Seeking
We are seeking both experienced and new volunteer EMTs and paramedics. All training, equipment and uniforms are provided.
If you are a Maryland or Nationally certified (NREMT) EMT or Paramedic — or are able to get reciprocity with the state of Maryland, we have immediate openings for experienced EMS volunteers. For those with experience, we welcome those within an hour or two drive of the HVFD and able to meet our 24-36 hour/month duty shift program.
For those without experience. you’ll go through an initial probationary period that includes taking 200+ hour Emergency Medical Technician course typically starting at the beginning of each college semester and taking over six months to complete, including clinical experience.
BenefitsVolunteering with the HVFD offers a variety of benefits to our dedicated, passionate EMS team:
- Experience in a busy, urban response environment
- Free training & uniforms
- Tuition remimbursement and incentive program
- $4,500 tax incentive for Maryland residents after 3 years of service.
- County funded retirement program after 25 years of service.
- Weekend duty crew meal program
- Special events and annual awards banquet
We are currently recruiting for the following EMS volunteer positions:
- Experienced Locally-Based (within 60 miles) EMTs and Paramedics
- Experienced Live-In EMTs
- New Volunteers with No Experience (All Training Provided) within a five-mile radius
Applicants who move forward in the process will need to pass a comprehensive criminal background check and physical.