Opportunities for Firefighter/EMT Volunteers
The HVFD offers an urban setting with exceptional experience opportunities for both basic and advanced life support providers. We respond to over 5,000 fire, rescue and EMS calls annually bordering the nation’s capital.
We are one of the few departments in the region providing engine company, truck company (a tiller!), rescue squad and BLS/ALS ambulance service. It’s a great way to gain experience or take advantage of your existing training.
Who We’re Seeking
We are seeking both experienced and new volunteer Firefighter/EMTs and paramedics. All training, equipment and uniforms are provided.
If you are a ProBoard or ISFAC-certified Firefighter I, a Maryland or Nationally certified (NREMT) EMT or Paramedic — or are able to get reciprocity with the state of Maryland, we have immediate openings for experienced Fire/EMS volunteers. All operational members are required to have or obtain EMT.
For those with experience, we welcome those within an hour or two drive of the HVFD and able to meet our 24-36 hour/month duty shift program.
For those without experience. you’ll go through an initial probationary period that includes taking a 150+ hour Firefighter I course and a 200+ hour Emergency Medical Technician course typically starting at the beginning of each college semester and taking over six months to complete, including clinical experience. We typically ask you take EMT first if you are a fresh new member. Summer and accelerated classes are also available.
BenefitsVolunteering with the HVFD offers a variety of benefits to our dedicated, passionate EMS team:
- Experience in a busy, urban response environment
- Free training & uniforms
- Tuition remimbursement and incentive program
- $4,500 tax incentive for Maryland residents after 3 years of service.
- County funded retirement program after 25 years of service.
- Weekend duty crew meal program
- Special events and annual awards banquet
We are currently recruiting for the following Firefighter/EMT volunteer positions:
- Experienced Live-In Firefighter/EMTs: Learn More >
- Experienced Firefighter/EMTS (or Medics) within a 90 minute drive radius of our station.
- Experienced EMS Only Members: Learn More >
- New Volunteers with No Experience (All training provided) within a five mile radius of our station.
Applicants who move forward in the process will need to pass a comprehensive criminal background check and physical.