Getting Started & the Process
Becoming a volunteer with the Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department is a significant commitment of time and energy. We offer some great benefits and flexible schedules, but volunteering in the fire/EMS service is not for everyone. You’ll need focus and a passion for serving the community.
First Steps as a New Member
- You’ll be assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO) to get you started riding along and getting to know the organization and its processes.
- You’ll be welcomed at one of our monthly company meetings.
- Our team will connect you with the required training opportunities if you come to us without experience or get you started on the path to be turned over on our fire, rescue and EMS services if you join us with experience.
If you do not have prior training and experience, you’ll need to take the following courses to be an operational member of our organization. These are not required to be an administrative or support volunteer.
- Firefighter I for Fire/EMS Volunteers (150+ hours)
- Emergency Medical Technician (200+ Hours) for Fire/EMS and EMS Only Members
Expectations of Members
- Be scheduled for at least 24-36 hours of duty time monthly, utilizing our online scheduling platform typically in 6, 8, 12 or 24 hour blocks. We staff our station 5p-7a weekdays, all weekends and holidays.
- Participate in regular drills, meetings and special events.
- Proactively take new training opportunities.
- Be a positive member of our organization.